The Coronavirus pandemic is bringing to light how fragile and precious our environment on earth truly is. As the human population grows, the impact on the earth and climate disrupts the natural habitats and food sources of wild animals that may harbor viruses that eventually make contact with domestic animals or humans.
We all have a responsibility to take action to protect our eco-systems to ensure the health of earth’s inhabitants, human and animal, now and in future generations. Celebrate Earth Day this year by making permanent changes in your family’s habits and routines that will have a positive impact on the planet.
- Eat less meat and more plants. It takes far more land and water to support animal agriculture than fruits, vegetables and grains.
- Try eliminating all processed meats from your family’s diet as a first step.
- Switch breakfasts to plant-based with cereal and milk, toast with peanut butter or avocado, smoothies, or homemade protein bars.
- Try Meatless Monday and branch out from there.
- Ban single-use plastics in your home.
- Stop buying plastic water bottles and, instead, buy everyone their own reusable water bottle.
- Use reusable containers or silicone bags instead of plastic food storage bags.
- Use reusable produce bags at the grocery store.
- Remember to take your reusable shopping bags with you everywhere– not just the grocery store.
- Buy refills for cleaning products and reuse the same spray bottles or dispensers over and over.
- Say no to straws when eating out.
- Stop using disposable utensils and plates at home.
- Recycle the plastics you do use.
- Watch your water usage.
- Cut out dairy– dairy farms use millions of gallons of water a day, per farm, to produce milk and other dairy products.
- Make sure your irrigation system is running at the coolest time of day and is shut off completely during rainy weather.
- Don’t let the kitchen or bathroom tap run unnecessarily.
- Use less energy.
- Switch lightbulbs to LED bulbs.
- Shut off appliances and computers when not in use.
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
- Carpool, ride share, bike or walk!
Happy Earth Day, friends!